When setting up a file format configuration for Microsoft Powerpoint, there are many options to choose from to ensure extraction is successful. This page will explain the most common options for Powerpoint files.
The following file extensions are supported when setting up file format configurations for Microsoft Powerpoint: .ppt, .pot, .pps, .pptx, .pptm, .potx, .potm, .ppsx, .ppsm.
Please click on a section to see specific information regarding a configuration option.
To learn more about working with file format configurations, please see the following pages:
- View file format configurations
- Modify file format configurations
- Create file format configurations
- Test and validate file format configurations
The General Tab provides options for configuring what content will be extracted as well as options for handling whitespaces, symbols, and text segmentation.
- Content Section - Contains extraction rules for document properties (document title, keywords, category etc.), user comments, hidden slides, and master slides.
- Whitespaces and Symbols - Contains options for showing or hiding whitespaces and symbols as well as options for coverting words or whitespace sequences into markup.
- Text Segmentation - Enable SRX rules for text segmentation and elect to always split text at line breaks.
Do Not Translate Tab
The Do Not Translate Tab may be used to specify what text colors, segments, and words within the Powerpoint file should not be translated.
- Colors - Select one or more text colors to be excluded when text is extracted for translation.
- Segments - Mark specific text segments as translatable (extracted) or not translatable (ignored) when found by the system. Regular expressions may be entered in the system to protect entire segments or just terms within the file. These segments or terms will not be extracted for translation and be taken into account during the wordcount step. In the translation editor, they will appear as tags. A good example, is entering terms or regular expressions to protect brand names or confidential content like software codes.
- Words or Terms - Configure single words, terms, or segments to be excluded from the translation. Any text captured by regular expressions is converted into markup and not modified. This feature is useful to protect certain terms that must not be modified by the translator. For instance the company name, or technical references, etc...
Reduce Markup Tab
The Reduce Markup Tab may be used to substantially reduce markup for improved tranlsation memory hits and less work for your translators. Please note that removing markup can result in minor differences between fonts and text styles.
- Remove irrelevant font or style changes - These options are designed to eliminate any font or style changes, which are irrelevant and cannot be distinguished visually such as formattin changes applied to whitespaces or text not containing letters nor digits. These formatting changes in the Powerpoint document are represented in Wordbee by markups (aka tags). An extensive amount of markups can complicate the translation work. This option permits to ignore formatting changes applied on spaces.
- Visually reduce markup in the translation editor - Preserves the original styles and fonts to reduce markup in the translation editor by merging adjacent markup elements into single markup. Creates less markup, but the translator will not see individual markup elements anymore.
Embedded Files Tab
The Embedded Files Tab may be used to extract an embedded Excel, PowerPoint, or Word Files for translation. When using the options on the Embedded Files Tab, Wordbee will extract all content from the file, not just the visible content.