Word Configuration Options
When setting up a file format configuration for Microsoft Word, there are many options to choose from to ensure extraction is successful. This page will explain the most common options for Word files.
The following file extensions are supported when setting up file format configurations for Microsoft Word: .doc, .docx, .dot, .dotx, .docm, .dotm.
Please click on a section to see specific information regarding a configuration option.
To learn more about working with file format configurations, please see the following pages:
- View file format configurations
- Modify file format configurations
- Create file format configurations
- Test and validate file format configurations
The General Tab provides options for configuring what content will be extracted as well as options for handling whitespaces, symbols, and text segmentation.
- Content Section - Contains extraction rules for document properties, headers, footers, calculated fields text, table of contents, and user comments.
- Whitespaces and Symbols - Contains options for showing/hiding whitespaces or symbols and for converting them into markup.
- Text Segmentation - Enable SRX rules for text segmentation and elect to always split text at line breaks.
Do Not Translate Tab
The Do Not Translate Tab may be used to specify what text styles, colors, segments, and words within the Word file should not be translated.
- Styles - Configure specific paragraph styles to not be extracted during the translation.
- Colors - Select one or more text colors to be excluded when text is extracted for translation.
- Segments - Mark specific text segments as translatable (extracted) or not translatable (ignored) when found by the system. Regular expressions may be entered in the system to protect entire segments or just terms within the file. These segments or terms will not be extracted for translation and be taken into account during the wordcount step. A good example, is entering terms or regular expressions to protect brand names or confidential content like software codes.
- Words or Terms - Configure single words, terms, or segments to be excluded from the translation. Any text captured by regular expressions is converted into markup and not modified. This feature is useful to protect certain terms that must not be modified by the translator. For instance the company name, or technical references, etc...
The Fonts Tab may be used to replace fonts for certain lanaguage specific translation scenarios.
- Replace font when translating into Japenese, Chinese, Korean and similar - Some fonts cannot correctly display Asian characters. If they are used in a document translated into Japanese the final document will be unreadable. This option forces Word to use a user-defined font for the Asian texts if there is not any compatible font defined.
- Replace font when translating into Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi and other "complex script" languages - Some fonts cannot correctly display complex script language characters. If they are used in a document translated into Arabic (for example) the final document will be unreadable. This option forces Word to use a user-defined font for the complex script texts if there is not any compatible font defined.
- Replace all fonts in the translated document - An option for translating between languages where different scripts and fonts exist. In some cases the used fonts are not compatible with the target language thus causing the text to be unreadable. This option informs the system to replace all fonts so that the translated document is easy to read.
Reduce Markup Tab
The Reduce Markup Tab may be used to substantially reduce markup for improved tranlsation memory hits and less work for your translators. Please note that removing markup can result in minor differences between fonts and text styles.
- Remove irrelevant font or style changes - These options are designed to eliminate any font or style changes, which are irrelevant and cannot be distinguished visually. Formmating changes in Word documents are represented in Wordbee by markups (aka tags). Extensive markup complicates the translation work and these options may be used to ignore formatting changes on spaces, texts containing letters nor digits, etc.
- Visually reduce markup in the translation editor - Preserves the original styles and fonts to reduce markup in the translation editor.
Embedded Files Tab
The Embedded Files Tab may be used to extract an embedded Excel, PowerPoint, or Word File for translation. When using the options on the Embedded Files Tab, Wordbee will extract all content from the file, not just the visible content.
View our Microsoft Word file format Questions and Answers section to learn how to perform common file format customisations. These examples are the most frequently answered by our support team.